Monday, August 27, 2012

It is love alone that gives worth to all things....I say it's so true!

A friend of mine Shemeer and I were on our way back from Dubai to Sharjah late last evening. We noticed a girl walking by the roadside and looked at each other wondering if we must offer to drop her some place, if she wishes to accept help.

My friend Shemeer suddenly recollected of a recent conversation with a friend where we were talking about offering help to total strangers and sometimes how those strangers may perceive the help offered, especially when it’s late in the evening or actually at night.

If I were offered a drop late in the evening, the first question that arises in my mind is, she/ he are up to something by offering me help. Why take risk? Will I be in trouble etc?

We saw this girl and we passed her and I turned towards my right to actually get a glance of her. We got to the signal and were meant to cross the signal line and continue straight, instead Shemeer to my surprise headed for a U-turn and I was happy we were actually going to see what we could do.

That U-turn at the signal and another U-turn to get back to where we noticed her took us some 3-4 minutes to locate and get close to her.

As we were approaching her, we saw another car by then had stopped by her and she had this frightened look and she was nodding to indicate “No” and her steps automatically took her off the foot path and she was on the land adjacent to road.

We stopped right behind the other car and as I rolled the window glass down the other car disappeared from the scene in no seconds. She was frightened and sweating (could also be the humid weather here as she was already walking).

I asked her where she was going and if she needed a drop. “No” came the answer and I immediately asked do you know where to go? Also added saying, I’m like your sister and please feel fine. She admitted she is lost and upon asking said wants to reach a certain XYZ Supermarket and that place is a landmark to reach her sisters residence.

I knew the place and immediately informed her about it and suggested to get in the car and that she had passed that area and was heading to another location. Shemeer told her its fine and that she is safe. She got in and said thank you and started talking to someone over her cell phone (We would do that too, just to inform a near one that we are in a stranger’s car, but feels safe or will see what happens next)

We reached the supermarket in 5mins and when informed her of it, saw a sigh of relief on her face.

She said she is familiar with the place. Blessed us and stepped out, I offered my number to call me, incase she needs help after we are gone…she confirmed she is fine and we left. Through our rear view mirrors kept an eye to know where she was headed to and noticed she was crossing the road to head to an apartment building.

We continued and I was at my emotional best by then, couldn’t stop weeping.

Thinking of my family!

Thinking of many confident women, but were shattered at some point in time with scars which has changed their life’s.

Thinking, was there a chance of something going wrong just in case things would have been little different last evening with that girl?

There is a lot of risk involved (in our minds) while offering help to a total stranger at 11:45 pm anyplace in the world. People who offer help and don’t offer help are all amongst us.

If a man driving the car and is alone and offers, we would be skeptical to accept the help. Why, because we know the results from the past have scared us enough.

If a man driving the car and a woman with him in the car is a relief, however I would still be skeptical (it comes from my personal past experience) to accept help.

It’s a matter of trust, assurance, confidence, and the worldly approach towards woman, no matter which corner of earth…!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment